- RSS Channel Showcase 9860229
- RSS Channel Showcase 9872473
- RSS Channel Showcase 9243137
- RSS Channel Showcase 9273667
- 05/13/16--04:45: 4 Reasons More Boomers Are Hooked on Drugs and Alcohol
- 09/15/17--05:00: Opioid Crisis Takes a Toll on Rural Older Adults
- 10/30/17--08:05: Grandparents Stepping Up for Kids in Opioid Crisis
People in their 50s, 60s and beyond are often not considered likely candidates for drug and alcohol problems. But the combination of chronic pain, the loneliness that can come with retirement and a comfort level with illicit drugs acquired during their teen years can lead older adults into dangerous habits — and even addiction. A new…
The post 4 Reasons More Boomers Are Hooked on Drugs and Alcohol appeared first on Next Avenue.
What comes to mind when you think of someone addicted to prescription pain medication? It’s probably not a 70-something grandparent living on a farm in the heartland or a 60-something retired miner from Appalachia. Yet the opioid crisis and its fallout are very real for the older population. For rural older residents, opioid addiction presents…
(Next Avenue invited our 2017 Influencers in Aging to blog about the one thing they would like to change about aging in America. One of the posts is below; we will be publishing others regularly.) Last week, the President declared the opioid epidemic a national crisis. This long overdue step is critical. But to 2.6…
The post Grandparents Stepping Up for Kids in Opioid Crisis appeared first on Next Avenue.